The New Hostel Project for students of the College of Medicine, University of Ibadan (CoMUI) received a big boost with the pledge of the sum of Twenty Million Naira (N20,000,000.00) for the year 2022. Immediately after the induction ceremony on Saturday 22 January 2022, Ms. Alero Roseline Eyesan, a proud mother of one of the MBBS inductees, paid a visit to the Office of the Provost. She indicated that she would like to support the hostel project and the Sponsor A Student Programme the Provost had spoken about. The distinguished Chartered Accountant visited the office of the Provost in company of her Brother, Professor Samuel Uwale Eyesan, Provost, Bowen University College of Health Sciences, her Sister Chief. Dr. Caroline Ajuyah mni, a Cardiologist of repute and a former Permanent Secretary in Delta State and her daughter Dr. Onaopemipo Akinola (CoMUI Graduating Class of 2021).
She swiftly followed up with her promise and in a letter dated 25 January 2022, Ms. Eyesan wrote:
“Congratulations on the successful induction ceremony of Medical and Dental students Class of 2021 (Batch B) on Saturday, 22nd January 2022. This event was enlightening as it gave us parents, an insight into your vision for the growth of the College. The New Hostel Project for students of the College and the Sponsor A Student Programme (SASP) are laudable programs and a clear indication of your visionary leadership style. It is my pleasure to partner with you on these two projects as follows:
- New Hostel Project for students of the College of Medicine, University of Ibadan
I am pledging the sum of Twenty Million Naira only (N20,000,000.00) in the first instance for the year 2022. This is payable in four equal quarterly installments. Attached is a payment advice for the first installment of Five Million Naira only.
- Sponsor A Student Programme (SASP)
Kindly find attached the payment of One Million Naira only (N1,000,000) for SASP. I would appreciate if this scholarship were titled “Isaac Oyemiren Eyesan Memorial Scholarship” in honour of my late father. The award should be given to any two students that meet the following criteria:
- Student must be a current medical student at any level in the university.
- Student must be an indigent native of Warri North Local Government Area or have Itsekiri parentage”.
I confirm receipt of the first tranche of N5 million for the Hostel project and N1 million for the SASP programme.
On behalf of the Staff, Students and Alumni of CoMUI, I extend our deep gratitude to Ms. Alero Eyesan for her generosity and compassion and we look forward to our continued partnership and friendship.
I hereby invite Alumni, Corporate Entities, Friends of the College of Medicine, University of Ibadan (CoMUI) and the General Public to support the new hostel project.
Key Points About the CoMUI Hostel Project
- Half of the clinical students in CoMUI cannot be accommodated in the present hostel facility
- The Medical & Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) has made it mandatory for all clinical students of Medicine and Dentistry to be accommodated within the premises of the hospital for CoMUI to retain accreditation for these two flagship programmes
- The Board of Management of the University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan has allocated 8019Sq/metres of land to CoMUI for this project
- The Executive Committee of the Ibadan College of Medicine Alumni Association (ICOMAA) under the leadership of Professor Emmanuel Otolorin will partner with CoMUI to spearhead the construction of the new hostel blocks
- Following the construction, ICOMAA will continue to partner with CoMUI to ensure the hostel is maintained in a good condition by participating in the management of the hostel blocks
You can support this laudable project by:
- A general donation
- Payment for a part of the project, which shall be named after the donor such as a room, floor, block, cafeteria or any part of the building.
For more information on how you can be a part of this project, please contact the Office of the Provost, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, University College Hospital (UCH) Ibadan Premises.
Phone Number: +234 291 4130 available from 8am to 4pm Monday to Friday
Olayinka O. Omigbodun FAS, FNAMed, FAMedS
Professor of Psychiatry & Provost
CoMUI MBBS Graduating Class of 1985