Name:Dr. Johnmartin I. AFOLAMI
Faculty: PUBLIC HEALTH
Designation: Lecturer II
I. (a) Name: Ibukunoluwa Johnmartin AFOLAMI
(b) Marital Status: Single
(c) State of Origin: Ondo
(d) Local Government Area: Akoko South-West
(e) Mobile Telephone: +234-81 3549 0693
(g) Website: www.wix.com/mafolami/ibukun
(h) Home Address: No. 2 Adesola Iroko Street, Agbowo,
University of Ibadan P.O.Box 4023,
Ibadan. Oyo State.
II. University Education (with dates):
(a) University of Ibadan, Ibadan. (2010 till date)
(b) University of Lagos, Akoka. (2004 – 2008)
III. Academic Qualifications (with dates):
(a) M.Sc (Biochemistry) (2011)
(b) B.Sc (Biochemistry) (2008)
(c) MPhil/Ph.D (Human Nutrition) (In view)
IV. Membership of Learned Societies:
(a) Nigerian Society for Nutrition
(b) American Society of Nutrition (in progress)
(c) Nestlé Nutrition Institute
(d) African Society for Human Genetics
V. Scholarships, Fellowships and Prizes (with dates):
(a) African Nutrition Leadership Programme (ANLP) Fellowship, (2013)
(b) Travel Grant and conference sponsorship: 6th International Conference on Environmental Mutagens in Human Population, Doha, Qatar. (March 26– 29, 2012).
(c) Conference sponsorship: 31st International Symposium on High Performance Liquid Phase Separation and Related Techniques, Ghent, Belgium. (June 17 – 21, 2007).
- Practice of Growth Monitoring and Promotion in Primary Health Care workers and Mothers in Enugu State (2014 – 2015)
- Nutrition survey of Adolescents in public and private schools in Osun State.
- Lead Levels in Some Edible Vegetables in Lagos Nigeria. (2014)
- HPLC Analysis of Nicotinamide, Pyridoxine, Riboflavin and Thiamin in Some Selected Food Products in Nigeria. (2005 – 2006)
- Phase 1 metabolites of Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) in Blood Samples of Exposed Subjects by HPLC Method. (2007 – 2008)
- Determination of 1-Hydroxypyrene in Urine Samples of Occupationally Exposed Subjects (2008 – 2009)
b. In Progress
- A Randomized Control Trial (RCT) of Biofortified (yellow) cassava in Oyo State Nigeria.:This study is being conducted to assess the efficacy of daily consumption of pro-vitamin A-rich cassava in contributing to total retinol pools of children between 3 – 5 years of age in Nigeria. (1) To investigate the effect of daily consumption of pro-vitamin A on functional indicators such as nutritional anemia and gut integrity (2) To investigate the effect of zinc deficiency and genetic polymorphisms in the BCMO1 and related genes on the efficacy of pro-vitamin A-rich cassava consumption (3) To compare skin colour in the palm of the hand of each participant with their serum retinol levels using a hand-held non-invasive spectrophotometer.
c. Project, Dissertation and Thesis
- Monitoring Lead levels in Vegetables in Lagos Metropolis. BSc. Project (2007)
- An Assessment of Genotoxicity of Domestic Cooking Gas in Occupationally Exposed Individuals in Ibadan. MSc. Project
- Books already published
b. Chapters in books already published:
Afolami J.I. (2015) Carcinogenesis, Angiogenesis and Nutrition, Environmental Impact of Polyaromatic Hydrocarbons, Vol II, pp 215-236. ISBN: 978-978-50046-8-7 (Nigeria) (Contribution, 100%)
c. Articles that have already appeared in Refereed Conference Proceedings:
(e) Articles that have already appeared in learned journals.
- Chukwu U., Afolami J.I. and Adepoju O.T. (2014). Chemical Composition of Locally-made Food Standard Recipes in Nigeria. West African Journal of Foods and Nutrition Vol.12. No. 2: 1 – 17. (Nigeria) (Contribution: 30%).
- Afolami J.I. and Olaniyi A. O. (2014). Adolescents in Public Schools are more Undernourished than those in Private Schools in Ilesha, Osun State. West African Journal of Foods and Nutrition Vol. 12. No. 1: 32-39. (Nigeria) (Contribution: 50%).
- Elejere A. E., Afolami J.I. and Sanusi R. A. (2014). Knowledge Attitude and Practice of Growth Monitoring and Promotion Among Primary Health care Workers in Enugu State. West African Journal of Foods and Nutrition Vol. 12. No. 2: 16-23. (Nigeria) (Contribution: 30%).
- Afolami J.I., Anyakora C., Ebuehi O. and Bolawa O. (2010). Lead Levels in Some Edible Vegetables in Lagos, Nigeria. Scientific Research and Essays Vol.5. No. 8: 813-818. (Kenya) (Contribution: 50%)
- Anyakora C., Afolami J.I., Ehianeta T. and Onwumere F. (2008). HPLC Analysis of Nicotinamide, Pyridoxine, Riboflavin and Thiamin in Some Selected Food Products in Nigeria. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology Vol. 2. No. 2: 029-036.
- Anyakora C., Babalogbon F., Obiakor U., Afolami J.I. and Coker H. (2008). Phase-1 Metabolites of Polyaromatic Hydrocarbons in Blood Samples of Exposed Subjects. Scientific Research and Essay Vol. 3. No. 6: 254-258.
- Anyakora C., Chukelu A., Bolarinwa T., Afolami J.I., Coker H. and Ojobor P. (2008). Determination of 1-Hydroxypyrene in Urine Samples of Occupationally Exposed Subjects by HPLC Method. Trade Science Inc. Vol. 2: 2 – 6. (United Kingdom) (Contribution: 30%)
(f) Books, Chapters in Books and Articles already Accepted for Publication
(g) Technical Reports and Monographs
XI Major Conferences Attended with Papers Read (in the last five years)
- Elejere Amarachi E. and Afolami J.I. (2014). 6th Africa Nutrition Epidemiology Conference (ANEC) Accra, Ghana. Knowledge Attitude and Practice of Growth Monitoring and Promotion Among Primary Health care Workers in Enugu State. July 21 – 26, 2014.
- Afolami J.I and Isaac Akinyele (2013): International Union of Nutrition Sciences (IUNS) 20thInternational Conference on Nutrition, Granada Spain. Chronic Malnutrition in Nigeria. Is there a Genetic Dimension? September 15 – 20, 2013.
- 6th International Conference on Environmental Mutagens in Human Populations (ICEMHP), Doha, Qatar. March 26 – 29, 2012.
- 6th Mali Symposium on Applied Science (MSAS), Bamako, Mali. August 1 – 7, 2010.