Name: Dr. Rufus Olusola AKINYEMI
Institute: INSTITUTE FOR ADVANCED MEDICAL RESEARCH AND TRAINING
Designation: Senior Research Fellow
Dr Rufus Akinyemi graduated as a medical doctor from the University of Ibadan College of Medicine in 1998. He undertook his professional postgraduate training in Medicine and Neurology between 2001 and 2007 at the Department of Medicine of the University College Hospital, Ibadan and obtained the fellowship of the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria in Internal Medicine and Neurology in 2006. He obtained a Master’s degree in Cell Biology and Genetics from the University of Ibadan in 2007 and a PhD from the Newcastle University, United Kingdom in 2014. Following a stint at the Federal Medical Abeokuta, Nigeria where he co-pioneered the Internal Medicine Residency Training Programme, served as Head of Department of Medicine and pioneered several other initiatives, he joined the services of the University of Ibadan, Nigeria in April 2015 as a senior research fellow in the Neuroscience and Ageing Research Unit, Institute for Advanced Medical Research and Training of the College of Medicine. He is also the deputy director of the fledging Centre for Genomic and Precision Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan. He holds joint academic appointments in the Department of Medicine and the Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases of the Faculty of Clinical Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan. He is an honorary consultant neurologist to the University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria. He’s a visiting researcher at the Translational and Clinical Research Institute, Newcastle University, Newcastle -upon-Tyne, United Kingdom. He is also a senior Atlantic fellow of the Global Brain Health Institute [GBHI] based at the Trinity College Dublin, Ireland and University of California at San Francisco, USA as well as a pioneer FLAIR fellow of the Royal Society UK and the African Academy of Sciences.
He is an accomplished physician – scientist with research and clinical interest in vascular and degenerative brain disorders, particularly stroke and dementia where he has been involved as principal investigator or co-investigator in several collaborative projects that are deepening understanding of the epidemiology and neurobiology of stroke and dementia, particularly in populations of African ancestry.
He’s the Founding Chair of the African Stroke Organization (ASO) and also a member of the Steering Committees of the H3Africa Consortium and the International Stroke Genetics Consortium. Rufus served as an LMIC representative on the Vascular Cognitive Disorders Professional Interest Area of the Alzheimer’s Association ISTAART and recently spearheaded the establishment of the African Dementia Consortium (AfDC). He leads the IBADAN Brain Bank Project and the NIH/NHGRI - funded African Neurobiobank for Precision Stroke Medicine ELSI Study within the H3Africa Consortium. He also plays a leading role in the largest-ever study of stroke in Africa, the NIH-funded SIREN/SIBS Genomics Study. He has won several awards, scholarships, and fellowships, including the James Kimani Award of the Society of Neuroscientists of Africa, the International Brain Research Organization (IBRO) Research Fellowship and the Bruce Schoenberg International Award in Neuroepidemiology of the American Academy of Neurology. He has authored/co-authored over 170 publications in peer-reviewed journals including Science, Lancet, New England Journal of Medicine and Nature.
RUFUS OLUSOLA AKINYEMI
Neuroscience and Ageing Research Unit,
Institute for Advanced Medical Research and Training,
College of Medicine,
University of Ibadan.
Telephone: +234 803 3704 384
Postal Address: Institute for Advanced Medical Research and Training,
College of Medicine, University of Ibadan.
University College Hospital Campus
Queen Elizabeth Road,
Ibadan, 200001, Oyo State, Nigeria.
Permanent Home Address: No 71 Holiness Reservation Area, Arulogun Road, Off Ojoo, Ibadan, Oyo State,
I. PERSONAL PROFILE
MARITAL STATUS Married
II. PRESENT APPOINTMENT
- Senior Research Fellow April 2015 to date
Institute for Advanced Medical Research and Training (IAMRAT)
College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Consultant Neurologist May 2017 to date
Neurology Unit, Department of Medicine,
University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
IIB. PREVIOUS ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS
- Visiting Guest Researcher, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, (February 2017)
- Visiting Clinical Lecturer, Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom. (December 2013 – December 2016).
3. IBRO Research Fellow, Neurovascular Research Unit, Institute for Ageing and Health, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. (October 2009 – November 2013).
4. IBRO Visiting Scholar, Neurovascular Research Unit, Institute for Ageing and Health, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. (July 2008 – December 2008).
- Consultant Physician / Neurologist, Federal Medical Centre Abeokuta. (May 2007 – April 2015)
6. Senior Registrar in Internal Medicine (Neurology), University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria. (January 2004 – April 2007)
7. Registrar in Internal Medicine, University College Hospital Ibadan, Nigeria. (January 2001– December 2003)
- Corps Doctor/ Medical Officer, Federal College of Education (Technical), Asaba, Delta State, Nigeria. (March 1999 - December, 2000).
- House Officer, University College Hospital Ibadan, Nigeria. (March 1998 - February 1999)
IIC. OTHER APPOINTMENTS IN THE COLLEGE OF MEDICINE/UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN
- Acting Director, Institute for Advanced Medical Research and Training (various times from October 2015 – till date)
- Chairman, Atunji Distinguished Lecture Series Committee, Ibadan at 70 ( January 2018 – till date)
- Deputy – Director, Centre for Genomic and Precision Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan (2016 – Till date)
III University Education (with dates)
- Institute for Ageing and Health, Newcastle University, United Kingdom. (2009 – 2013)
(PhD Programme in Ageing and Health - Neuroscience Module)
- Genetics and Cell Biology Unit, Department of Zoology, Faculty of Science, University of Ibadan (2005 – 2007)
(Masters Degree Programme in Cell Biology and Genetics)
- College of Medicine, University of Ibadan (1990 – 1998)
(Primary Medical Education) (MB, BS)
IV Academic Qualifications (with dates and granting bodies)
- PhD (2014), Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom.
- Sc (Cell Biology and Genetics) (2007), University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria.
- MB,BS (1998), University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria.
V Professional Qualifications and Diplomas (with dates)
- FMCP (November 2006), Part 2 Fellowship in Internal Medicine/Neurology, National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria.
- MMCP, (May 2003), Part 1 Membership Examination (Internal Medicine), National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria.
- MWACP, (April, 2003), Part 1 Membership Examination (Internal Medicine), West African College of Physicians.
VI Scholarships, Fellowships and Prizes (with dates)
- Atlantic Fellow in Equity in Brain Health, Global Brain Health Institute, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland 2018
- American Academy of Neurology Bruce Schoenberg International Award in Neuroepidemiology 2016
- IBRO Return Home Fellowship 2015
- James Kimani Young Investigator Award – Society of Neuroscientists of Africa (SONA) 2013
- International Society of Neurochemistry (ISN) CAEN Award 2012
- International Brain Research Organization (IBRO) Travel Grant 2012
- World Federation of Neurology Junior Travelling Fellowship 2011
- Overseas Research Studentship (ORS) Award, Newcastle University, UK, 2009 – 2012
- International Brain Research Organization (IBRO) Research Fellowship Award, 2009- 2010
- International Brain Research Organization (IBRO) Studentship Award 2008
- American Academy of Neurology International Scholarship Award 2008
- World Federation of Neurology (WFN) Travel Fellowship 2007
- Award for Meritorious Service, Association of Resident Doctors, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria. 2005 and 2006.
- Travel Fellowships to IBRO African Neuroscience Schools 2004-2006
(South Africa, Morocco, Mali, DRC)
- State Award, National Youth Service Corps, Delta State, Nigeria. 2000
- Demonstrator in Anatomy, University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Departmental Prize in Anatomy, University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Overall Best Candidate in the Joint University Matriculation Examination, Nigeria. 1990
- Best Graduating Student, Federal Government College, Idoani, Ondo State, Nigeria 1989
- Federal Government of Nigeria Secondary School Scholarship, 1984-1989.
VII Honours, Distinctions and Membership of Learned Societies
Low Middle Income Country (LMIC) Representative, April 2018
Vascular Cognitive Disorders PIA (VPIA) Executive Committee of the Alzheimer's Association
International Society to Advance Alzheimer’s Research and Treatment (ISTAART).
Guest Editor June 2017 – till date
Special issue on ‘Behavioural and Cognitive Effects of Cerebrovascular Diseases‘
MEMBER, STEERING COMMITTEE 2016 – til date
WHO-WSO-LANCET Commission on Stroke in Low and Middle Income Countries
MEMBER, Scientific Committee August 2016
Nigerian Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria Annual Scientific Meeting and All Fellows Conference
MEMBER, EDUCATION COMMITTEE October, 2016 - till date
World Stroke Organization
MEMBER, INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE September 2016 – till date
World Stroke Congress
MEMBER, EDITORIAL BOARD Ocotber 2015 – Till date
European Stroke Journal
MEMBER (REP. AFRICA/MIDDLE EAST) March 2014 – till date
Young Stroke Professionals Committee (World Stroke Organization)
DEPUTY EDITOR – IN – CHIEF February 2014 – till date
Archives of Ibadan Medicine (AIM)
DELEGATE FOR AFRICA October 2013 till date
World Stroke Campaign Committee (World Stroke Organization)
DIRECTOR April 2013 – till date
Abeokuta Stroke Network
DELEGATE FOR AFRICA March 2010 – June 2016
International Working Group of Young Neurologists and Trainees
(IWGYNT) (An affiliate of the World Federation of Neurology)
INITIATOR / CO - ORDINATOR October 2011 – April 2015
FMC Abeokuta – Northumbria NHS Trust Partnership
INITIATOR / CO – ORDINATOR May 2011 – April 2015
FMC Abeokuta – MANSAG Collaboration
PIONEER/CONVENER April 2011 – April 2015
Federal Medical Centre Abeokuta Research Forum
EDITION EDITOR, Neurosciences Edition 2009 – 2011
Archives of Ibadan Medicine (AIM), College of Medicine, UI.
MEMBER, Public Education Committee
International Brain Research Organization (IBRO) 2008 - 2010
SECRETARY, 2006 - 2007
Nigerian Medical Association, Oyo State Branch
EDITOR –IN- CHIEF 2005 - 2007
Annals of Ibadan Postgraduate Medicine
University College Hospital Ibadan, Nigeria.
BOARD SECRETARY, 2004 - 2005
Annals of Ibadan Postgraduate Medicine
Journal of the Association of Resident Doctors, UCH Branch.
RESIDENT COORDINATOR, 2005
Weekly Clinicopathological Meeting
Department of Medicine,University College Hospital, Ibadan.
CLASS SECRETARY, July, 2005
10th IBRO African Neuroscience School .
SECRETARY, Residency Training Committee 2004
Association of Resident Doctors, University College Hospital, Ibadan.
FELLOW, NATIONAL POSTGRADUATE MEDICAL COLLEGE (NIGERIA)
SECRETARY, NIGERIAN STROKE ORGANIZATION
MEMBER, INTERNATIONAL BRAIN RESEARCH ORGANIZATION
MEMBER, SOCIETY FOR NEUROSCIENCE
MEMBER, AMERICAN ACADEMY OF NEUROLOGY
MEMBER, AFRICAN ACADEMY OF NEUROLOGY
MEMBER, INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF NEUROCHEMISTRY.
MEMBER, MOVEMENT DISORDERS SOCIETY
MEMBER, SOCIETY OF NEUROSCIENTISTS IN AFRICA
MEMBER, PAN AFRICAN ASSOCIATION OF NEUROLOGICAL SCIENCES
MEMBER, WEST AFRICAN COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS
MEMBER, NIGERIAN SOCIETY OF NEUROLOGICAL SCIENCES
MEMBER, NIGERIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
MEMBER, MEDICAL AND DENTAL CONSULTANTS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA.
MEMBER, GLOBAL ALLIANCE ON CHRONIC DISEASES (GACD)
MEMBER, HUMAN HEALTH AND HEREDITY (H3) AFRICA NETWORK
MEMBER, GENOME ANALYSIS WORKGROUP (H3 AFRICA NETWORK)
MEMBER EDUCATION AND TRAINING WORKGROUP (H3 AFRICA)
MEMBER PUBLICATIONS WORKGROUP (H3 AFRICA NETWORK)
MEMBER, AFRICAN CUSTOM CHIP CONSORTIUM, H3 AFRICA NETWORK
MEMBER, WORLD STROKE ORGANIZATION
Member, Stroke Expert Group, Global Burden of Disease (GBD) Study
MEMBER, INTERNATIONAL STROKE GENETICS CONSORTIUM
VIII. PEER-REVIEWER FOR AND EDITORIAL BOARD MEMBERSHIP OF JOURNALS
Editorial Board Membership
Board Member, Journal of Stroke Medicine (2018 – to date)
Guest Editor ‘Behavioural Neurology’ (2017 – to date )
Special issue on ‘Behavioural and Cognitive Effects of Cerebrovascular
Member, Steeting Committee, The Lancet Neurology Commission on Stroke in LMIC (2016 – to date)
Board Member, European Stroke Journal (2015- to date)
Assistant Editor – in- Chief, Archives of Ibadan Medicine ) 2014 – to date)
Edition Editor, Neurosciences Issue, Archives of Ibadan Medicine (2009 – 2011)
Editor – in-Chief, Annals of Ibadan Postgraduate Medicine (2006 - 2007)
Board Secretary, Annals of Ibadan Postgraduate Medicine (2004 – 2005)
2010- date Reviewer for Lancet Global Health, International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry,American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, American Journal of Geriatric Society, Neuroscience in Rural Practice, Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, Stroke Research and Treatment, Journal of the Neurological Sciences, Biomedical Central Neurology, International Journal of Stroke, Nigerian Journal of Cardiology, Nigerian Journal of Clinical Practice, African Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences, Archives of Ibadan Medicine, Neuropathology and Applied Neurobiology, Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics, PLOS One, Experimental Gerontology, Globalization and Health, International Journal of Epidemiology, World Stroke Congress, International Stroke Congress and Nigerian Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria Annual
Scientific Meeting and All Fellows 2016 Conference Abstracts.
IX. INTERNATIONAL LINKAGES
- Harvard University, Boston, USA.
- Boston University, Massachusetts, USA
3. Medical University of South Carolina, USA
4. University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
5. University of Kentucky, USA
6. Newcastle University, UK
7. University of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
8. Northumbria Foundation NHS Trust,UK
9. National Cerebral and Cardiovascular Centre, Osaka, Japan
10. University of Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
11. Kwame Nkruma University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana
12. University of Ghana, Accra, Ghana
X. DETAILS OF TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN, IBADAN, NIGERIA (2004 - 2007; 2015 – )
- During my senior residency training in Medicine and Neurology (2004 – 2007), I delivered Medicine core lecture modules (Motor Neuron Diseases, Movement Disorders), bedside teachings and tutorials to undergraduate students of Medicine/Surgery and Dentistry.
- I also assisted in the organization of written and clinical examinations for medical students.
- Currently I teach Genetics and Genomics at Undergraduate and Postgraduate Levels in the College of Medicine
- NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY, UK (2009 – 2013)
As a research fellow/doctoral student in Newcastle University (2009 – 2013), I delivered teachings to, and mentored undergraduate and Masters’ students on relevant laboratory research techniques (including laboratory and research management, methods of immunohistochemistry, in vitro image capture and analysis) and provided oversight over their research projects.
- POSTGRADUATE SUPERVISION IN MEDICINE, NEUROSCIENCES AND GENOMICS (2007-)
- Over an 8 year period (2007 – 2015), we pioneered postgraduate residency training in Internal Medicine at the Federal Medical Centre Abeokuta and I supervised over 25 Part 1 candidates during the priod .
- I have successfully supervised the following candidates for their Part II Fellowship dissertations:
- Funmilola Taiwo FMCP
- Dr Abosede Adegbite FWACP
- Dr Oluyinka Kayode FWACP
- Dr Folajimi Otubogun FWACP
- Olaleye Adeniji FWACP
- Dr Oluwaseun Oluwaranti FWACP
- Dr Psychiatrist FWACP
- Mrs Motunrayo Coker – PhD in view
- I teach and supervise resident doctors rotating through the neurology unit; oversee and participate actively in all departmental academic programmes including grand rounds, bedside teaching sessions, journal review, weekly audit and mortality meetings in line with the provisions of the West African College of Physicians and the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria (Internal Medicine Faculty).
- WACP NEUROLOGY UPDATE COURSE, 2011.
I served on the teaching faculty of the 2011 West African Postgraduate Medical College (WACP) Update Course in Neurology.
- INTERNATIONAL BRAIN RESEARCH ORGANIZATION (IBRO) AFRICAN NEUROSCIENCE SCHOOLS (2009 – 2013)
- Faculty, IBRO African Neuroscience School, Fayoum University, Fayoum, Egypt. (2009)
- Co – Organizer/ Faculty, IBRO/ISN Neuroscience School, University of Ibadan, Nigeria (2011)
- Co – Organizer/ Faculty, IBRO/ISN Neuroscience School, University of Ibadan, Nigeria (2013)
- Faculty, IBRO/ISN Neuroscience School, University of Ibadan, Nigeria (Feb, 2017)
- Faculty, Neuroscience Teaching Tools Workshop, Entebbe, Uganda (June, 2017)
- EUROPEAN ACADEMY OF NEUROLOGY REGIONAL AFRICA NEUROLOGY TEACHING COURSE,
Faculty , EFNS Regional Neurology Course, Cheikh anta Diop University of Dakar, Senegal. July 2013.
Faculty, EAN Regional Neurology Course, University of Maputo, Mozambique, November, 2016.
- FACULTY, WORLD CONGRESS OF NEUROLOGY TEACHING COURSES (2011, 2013)
- FACULTY, WORLD STROKE CONGRESS TEACHING COURSES (2014 – Till Date)
MSc. Masters of Science
1. Mr. Adeyemi Akinade
2. Mr. Gabriel Ogunde
- Funmilola Taiwo [FMCP]
- Dr Abosede Adegbite [FWACP]
- Dr Oluyinka Kayode [FWACP]
- Dr Folajimi Otubogun [FWACP]
- Olaleye Adeniji [FWACP]
- Dr Oluwaseun Oluwaranti [FWACP]
Doctoral level (Ph. D.)
- Motunrayo Coker – PhD in view
Mr. Olorunyomi Olorunsogbon – PhD in view
- The Ibadan Dementia Project (2004 – 2006)
As a trainee neurologist, I was involved in the Ibadan-Indianapolis Dementia Project (I-IDP) - a community- based, cross - cultural, collaborative research project on dementias of the elderly. I visited subjects on the field for general clinical and cognitive evaluation and also participated in consensus diagnosis.
- WHO – STEPS Stroke Study (2005)
I undertook data collection and entry for the UCH site in the international collaborative World Health Organization (WHO) Stepwise Approach to Stroke Surveillance (STEPS Stroke) study.
- Cognitive dysfunction in Parkinson’s disease (2005 - 2006)
My Part 2 FMCP dissertation was based on a study of cognitive dysfunction in Nigerian patients with Parkinson’s disease. The case – control study involved clinical and cognitive assessment of a PD cohort using standardized instruments and scales.
- ABO blood group and severity of malaria fever (2006-2007)
My MSc (Cell Biology and Genetics) thesis was based on a population genetics study of the relationship between ABO blood group genotype/ phenotype and severity of Plasmodium falciparum malaria in a cohort of children in Ibadan. It involved field work, laboratory analysis and techniques of population genetics.
- Genetics of Parkinson’s disease in Nigerians (2006 - 2007)
I was involved in this pioneering collaborative two - center investigation of the genetics of Parkinson’s disease (PD) among Nigerian patients. I recruited and clinically assessed subjects for the study and took saliva samples for DNA extraction.
- Sortilin - related neuronal sorting protein (SorLA) expression in degenerative and vascular dementias (2008).
As a visiting scholar in Newcastle University in the UK, I undertook this laboratory-based study involving the methods of immunohistochemistry, image capture and analysis to evaluate the expression of SorLA from sub - regions of the hippocampus in post - mortem brain tissue of subjects with vascular and degenerative dementias.
- Survey of Geriatric services and Training in Africa (2009 – 2010)
I was a member of a four - man team which undertook a survey of geriatric services and training across the continent of Africa.
- INTERSTROKE Study (2009 – 2013)
I served as a site investigator (FMC Abeokuta) on the multicenter international INTERSTROKE study which examined traditional and emerging risk factors for stroke in 12,000 case - control pairs across 22 countries of the world.
- PhD Project: Profile, determinants and mechanisms of cerebral injury and cognitive impairment following stroke (2010 – 2013).
My PhD Project involved a combination of Nigeria - based clinic - epidemiologic study and UK laboratory – based clinic – pathological study. In the Nigerian study, we determined the profile, pattern and factors associated with post – stroke vascular cognitive impairment in a cohort of Nigerian stroke survivors. In the UK – based laboratory study, we used a combination of immunohistochemical and immunoblotting techniques and a panel of over twenty (20) molecular and cellular markers [ amyloid, tau, synaptics, neuroinflammation and white matter pathology)] to evaluate post – mortem hippocampal, frontal and temporal white matter tissue from prospectively assessed stroke subjects (non-demented and demented) in comparison to other dementia phenotypes in order to tease out the neuropathological substrates and mechanisms of cerebral injury causing post- stroke cognitive impairment and dementia.
- The Abeokuta Stroke Registry: FMC, Abeokuta, Nigeria (2010 – till date)
Role: Principal Investigator
A prospective study involving collection of clinical, laboratory and neuroimaging data on cases of acute stroke presenting to the Neurology service of the Federal Medical Centre, Abeokuta, Nigeria. We have recently established the Abeokuta Stroke Network and have been able to extend the registry to other secondary level hospitals in the city and organized training programmes alongside to enhance better stroke care service delivery in the city.
2. Cognitive Functions After Stroke - Nigeria (COGFAST –NG) (2010- till date)
Role: Co - Principal Investigator and Project Leader.
I am currently leading this comprehensive pioneering prospective study assessing the profile,
determinants and outcomes of cognitive performance among Nigerian stroke survivors. It
involves detailed clinical, neuropsychological, neuroimaging and laboratory assessments and
follow up of a unique cohort of Nigerian stroke survivors.
3. NIH-funded Tailored Hospital-based Risk Reduction to Impede Vascular Events after Stroke (THRIVES) study (2012 – 2017)
Role: Co – Investigator (PI, Abeokuta Sites).
In collaboration with Prof. Mayowa Owolabi (University of Ibadan) and Prof Bruce Ovbiagele (Medical University of South Carolina, USA), we have conceptualized and developed this project which is funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) under the Global Alliance on Chronic Diseases (GACD). The first phase of the project develops a multipronged intervention tool to reduce vascular risk factors (video documentary, text messages and report card) using qualitative approaches while the second phase of the project is a randomized controlled trial to evaluate the efficacy of the interventions in secondary stroke prevention. We hope the model will be applicable to other chronic diseases across low- and middle-income countries of the world.
4. NIH – funded Stroke Investigative Research and Education Network (SIREN)
(2013 – 2018)
Role: (PI, Genomics and Biorepository; PI, Abeokuta Sites)
The SIREN project is a part of the Human Health and Heredity (H3) Africa Consortium recently funded by the NIH and Wellcome Trust. SIREN consists of three projects (Systematic Investigation of Stroke in Blacks (SIBS) Phenomics, Genomics and Bioinformatics) and a training component. As the PI of SIBS Genomics, I led the development of the SIBS Genomics component of the successful SIREN proposal and will be leading this component of the Project aimed at unraveling unique genomic markers of stroke in black people (Africans and African Americans). I provided oversight for the development of standard operating procedure (SOP) on sample management and laboratory techniques as well as procurement of laboratory infrastructure and supplies for our eight study sites. I am collaborating with Dr Mayowa Owolabi (University of Ibadan) (Overall PI), Prof Bruce Ovbiagele (Medical University of South Carolina) (Overall Co – PI) and Prof Adesola Ogunniyi (Director, Training Component (CADET) on this project, which will be the biggest study on stroke in Africa to recruit 3,000 case – control pairs across 8 sites in Nigeria and Ghana and working with other collaborators from South Africa, USA and UK.
5. Enhancing Stroke Education, Care, Documentation and Prevention in Nigeria; Project funded by the World Federation of Neurology (WFN) and World Stroke Organization (WSO) 2014
Role: Principal Investigator/Project Leader
This project builds on previous work I have done on evaluation of stroke literacy and aims to build capacity of health workers, train ‘stroke ambassadors’ among survivors and their caregivers and develop a pilot Nigerian multi - center stroke registry. Pre – and post- training assessments of knowledge and perceptions was done as well while impact on the hospitals selected for the project will be undertaken.
6. Ibadan Brain Bank Project. Ibadan (Dementia, Ageing and Neurodegeneration) [IBADAN Brain Bank]
Role: Principal Investigator
The general aim of this study is to determine awareness and willingness to donate brain for research purpose, establish a pilot brain bank and evaluate the immunohistochemical features of ageing – associated degenerative Alzheimer pathology in brain tissue from a pilot cohort of adult/ older Nigerians.
7. Vascular heAlth, fraiLty and cognItion in Ageing Nigerians sTudy [VALIANT]
Role: Principal Investigator
The overarching goal of this study is to establish a population-based cohort of older adults (50+ years) and investigate the association of cardiovascular health (CVH) with cognition and frailty longitudinally
8. Strengthening Stroke Research and Training Capacity in Africa: The UK – Africa Stroke Partnership
Role: Principal Investigator
The purpose of this study is to conduct an online survey to define priorities for implementation research on stroke in Africa and to convene a strategic Africa – UK stroke leaders’ summit involving UK and African stroke leaders to examine data accrued from the online survey. This project will identify gaps, devise, and prioritize innovative solutions to be tested in future implementation research and develop a strategic action plan to improve stroke research, education, services, and policy in Africa towards year 2030.
- Co-PI (Project Leader), Cognitive Function After Stroke (Cog FAST- Nigeria) Study.
- PI - Enhancing Capacity for Stroke Recognition, Documentation, Care and Prevention in Nigeria. Grant World Federation for Neurology/ World Stroke Organization. 2013- 2015.
- Co-investigator (PI, Abeokuta sites), Tailored Hospital-based Risk reduction to Impede Vascular Events after Stroke (THRIVES). National Institutes of Health, USA Grant. U01NS079179, 2012-2018.
- PI (Genomics and Biorepository Core), Stroke Investigative Research & Educational Network (SIREN) U54 U54HG007479, 2013- 2018 Collaborative Center Research Grant from National Institutes of Health (NIH), USA Grant (NINDS and NHGRI), H3Africa.
- PI, Ibadan Brain Bank Project. Ibadan (Dementia, Ageing and Neurodegeneration) [IBADAN Brain Bank] (College Research and Innovation Management Unit CRIM Grant CTR16A012) 2016-2018
- PI, African Neurobiobank for Precision Stroke Medicine (ELSI Project) U01HG010273 National Institutes of Health (NIH), USA Grant (NHGRI), H3Africa.
- Systematic Investigation of Blacks with Stroke using Genomics (SIBS Genomics): R01NS107900 (National Institutes of Health (NIH), USA Grant (NINDS)
- PI/FLAIR Research Fellow, African Innovative Genetics of Vascular Cognitive Impairment Project FLR/R1/191813. UK Royal Society/African Academy of Sciences
- Epigenetics of Cognitive Impairment After Stroke (EpiCogFAST) (2020-2022) UK Royal Society Role: Co-PI/FLAIR Research Fellow
- Facilitating Implementation Science within the SIBS Genomics Study (SIBS-Gen-Gen) Role: Co - Investigator
- GCRF Networking Grants; Strengthening Stroke Research and Training Capacity in Africa: The UK – Africa Stroke Partnership
- Vascular health, frailty and cognition in Ageing Nigerians study [VALIANT]
Role: Principal Investigator
- Chapters in books already published
1. Akinyemi RO, Ogunniyi A. Motor Neuron Disease in Africa – Neurology in the Tropics; 2015 (ed. Prof Chopra)
2. Ogunniyi A, Akinyemi RO, Owolabi MO, Sanya EO. Medical Research in Nigeria with special focus on the Neurosciences: Historical overview -. Chapter contributed to Medical Research: Principles and Practice; 2015 – Ibadan Medical Specialist Group ( eds: Oyebode Femi and Adeyoju Adebanji)
- Articles that have already appeared in Referred conference proceedings
- Articles that have already appeared in learned journals
- Ogunniyi A, Akinyemi R.O. Epidemiology and Genetics of Alzheimer’s disease with Special Reference to Africans. Nigerian Journal of Health Sciences. 2003; 3: 1-6.
- Adeleye J.O, Akinyemi R.O., Onyegbutulem H.O., Balogun W.O. Unusual presentation of thyrotoxicosis-A case report and review of literature. West African Journal of Medicine. 2005; 24 (3): 274-277.
- Oluwole OSA, Akinyemi R., Owolabi L.F. Superficial abdominal reflex is not sensitive to direction of the moving stimulus. African Journal of Neurological Sciences. 2005; 24 (1):
- Akinyemi R.O. Improving the quality of residency training in Nigeria. Annals of Ibadan Postgraduate Medicine.2006; 4: 7-8
- Truelson T, Heuschmann PU, Bonita R et al. Standard method for developing stroke registers in low-income and middle-income countries: experiences from a feasibility study of a stepwise approach to stroke surveillance (STEPS Stroke). Lancet Neurol. 2007; 6:134-139. (Akinyemi R listed as an investigator)
- R.O. Conference Report: WFN-IBRO Sponsored Symposium on “Brain ageing and Dementia in Developing Countries”. World Neurology. 2007; 22 (2): 12-13.
- Akinyemi R.O, Okubadejo N.U, Akinyemi J.O, Owolabi M.O, Owolabi L.F, Ogunniyi A. Cognitive dysfunction in Nigerians with Parkinson’s disease. Disord. 2008; 23(10): 1378-1383.
- Kalaria R.N, Maestre G.E, Arizaga R, Friedland R.P et al. Alzheimer’s disease and vascular dementia in developing countries: prevalence, management, and risk factors. Lancet Neurol. 2008 Sep; 7(9):812-26. (Akinyemi R.O. listed as a collaborator/investigator)
- Akinyemi R.O. A 60-year-old Woman with Multiple Domain Amnestic Vascular Cognitive Impairment (Electronic Letter); JAMA 30 September, 2008.
- Njideka Okubadejo, Angela Britton, Cynthia Crews, Rufus Akinyemi, John Hardy, Andrew Singleton, Jose Bras. Analysis of Nigerians with Apparently Sporadic Parkinson Disease for Mutations in LRRK2, PRKN and ATXN3. PLoS ONE. 2008; 3(10): e3421.
- Ogah OS, Adegbite GD, Akinyemi R.O, Adesina JO, Alabi AA, Udofia OI, Ogundipe RF, Osinfade JK. Spectrum of heart diseases in a new cardiac service in Nigeria: An echocardiographic study of 1441 subjects in Abeokuta. BMC Res Notes. 2008;1:98.
- Akinyemi RO, Ogah OS, Ogundipe RF, Oyesola OA, Oyadoke AA, Ogunlana MO, Otubogun FM, Odeyinka TF, Alabi SB, Akinyemi JO, Osinfade JK, Kalaria RN. Knowledge and Perception of Stroke among Hospital Workers in an African Community. J Neurol. 2009; 16(9):998-1003
- Akinyemi RO, Owolabi MO, Makanjuola VA, Ogunseyinde AO, Ogunniyi A. Frontotemporal dementia in a Nigerian woman: case report and brief review of the literature. J Med. Med. Sci. 2009; 38: 71 – 75.
- Ogah OS, Timeyin AO, Kayode OA, Otukoya AS, Akinyemi RO, Adeyemi FI. Graves' disease presenting as paranoid schizophrenia in a Nigerian woman: a case report. Cases J. 2009; 2: 6708.
- Kalaria RN, Akinyemi R. Roll on genetics of PARK and parkinsonism in the developing world. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2010; 81(2):128.
- O'Donnell M, Xavier D, Diener C, Sacco R, Lisheng L, Zhang H, Pias P, Truelsen T, Chin SL, Rangarajan S, Devilliers L, Damasceno A, Mondo C, Lanas F, Avezum A, Diaz R, Varigos J, Hankey G, Teal P, Kapral M, Ryglewicz D, Czlonkowska A, Skowronska M, Lopez-Jaramillo P, Dans T, Langhorne P, Yusuf S. (2010) Rationale and design of INTERSTROKE: a global case-control study of risk factors for stroke 2010; 35(1):36-44. (Akinyemi RO listed as an INTERSTROKE investigator)
- O'Donnell MJ, Xavier D, Liu L, Zhang H, Chin SL, Rao-Melacini P, Rangarajan S, Islam S, Pais P, McQueen MJ, Mondo C, Damasceno A, Lopez-Jaramillo P, Hankey GJ, Dans AL, Yusoff K, Truelsen T, Diener HC, Sacco RL, Ryglewicz D, Czlonkowska A, Weimar C, Wang X, Yusuf S; INTERSTROKE Investigators. Risk factors for ischaemic and intracerebral haemorrhagic stroke in 22 countries (the INTERSTROKE study): a case-control study 2010 ; 376 (9735):112-23. (Akinyemi RO listed as an INTERSTROKE investigator)
- Ugoya SO, Akinyemi RO. The place of L- dopa/carbidopa in persistent vegetative state. Clin Neuropharmacol 2010 ; 33 (6):279 -84.
- Ogunniyi A, Akinyemi RO. Dementia in Africa: A review. Archives of Ibadan Medicine (Special Neurosciences Edition) 2010; 10 (1&2): 40 – 46.
- Akinyemi RO, Okubadejo NU. Movement Disorders in Africa: A Review. Archives of Ibadan Medicine (Special Neurosciences Edition) 2010; 10 (1&2): 58-64.
- Adeleye AO, Akinyemi RO. Cervical Klippel-Feil syndrome predisposing an elderly African man to central cord myelopathy following minor trauma. Afr Health Sci. 2010 Sep;10 (3):302-4
- Owolabi LF, Akinyemi RO, Owolabi MO, Sani UM, Ogunniyi A. Profile of epilepsy in elderly Nigerians. Archives of Ibadan Medicine (Special Neurosciences Edition) 2011; 11 (2): 47-50.
- Amoo G, Akinyemi RO, Onofa LU, Akinyemi JO, Baiyewu O, Ogunlesi AO, Ogunniyi A. Profile of clinically-diagnosed dementias in a Neuropsychiatric Practice in Abeokuta, Southwestern Nigeria Afr J Psychiatry (Johannesbg). 2011 Nov;14(5):377-82.
- Ndung'u M, Härtig W, Wegner F, Mwenda JM, Low RW, Akinyemi RO, Kalaria RN. Cerebral Aβ (42) deposits and microvascular pathology in ageing baboons. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2012 Aug; 38 (5):487-99.
- Ogah OS, Akinyemi RO, Adegbite GD, Udofia OI, Udoh SB, Adesina JO, Ojo OS, Alabi AA, Majekodunmi T, Osinfade JKL, Ogundipe RF, Falase AO. Prevalence of asymptomatic left ventricular systolic dysfunction in hypertensive Nigerians: echocardiographic study of 832 subjects. Cardiovasc J Afr. 2011 Nov-Dec; 22(6):297-302.
- Ogah O. S, Akinyemi R.O, Adesemowo A , Ogbodo E. I. A Two-Year Review of Medical Admissions at the Emergency Unit of a Nigerian Tertiary Health Facility . J. Biomed. Res.Vol.15 (January 2012); 59 – 63.
- Akinyemi RO. Parkinsonism and Parkinson’s disease in Sub- Saharan Africa: Nigerian Profile. J Neurosci Rural Pract. 2012 Sep;3(3):233-4.
- Kalaria RN, Akinyemi R. Ihara M. Does Vascular Pathology contribute to Alzheimer changes? J Neurol Sci. 2012 Nov 15;322(1-2):141-7
- Dotchin CL, Akinyemi RO, Gray WK, Walker RW. Geriatric Medicine: services and training in Africa. Age Ageing. 2013 Jan;42(1):124-8
- Ojagbemi O, Akinyemi R, Baiyewu O. Neuropsychiatric Symptoms in Nigerian patients with Parkinson's Disease. Acta Neurol Scand. 2013 128(1):9-16.
- Adebayo PB, Ajani A, Adeniji AO, Akinyemi RO. Neuropsychiatric and Parkinsonian manifestations of Dementia: a case report in a Nigerian woman. Ann Afr Med. 2013 Jan;12 (1):46-8.
- Owolabi LF, Akinyemi RO, Owolabi MO, Sani MU, Ogunniyi A. Profile of stroke – related late onset epilepsy among Nigerians. Journal of Medicine in the Tropics. 2013; 15 (1): 29 - 32
- Akinyemi R, Mukaetova- Ladinska E, Attems J, Ihara M, Kalaria R. Vascular risk factors and Neurodegeneration in ageing-related dementias: Alzheimer’s disease and vascular dementia Current Alzheimer Res. 2013; 10(6): 642 - 653.
- Ojagbemi A, Akinyemi R, Baiyewu O. Cognitive dysfunction and functional limitations are associated with major depression in stroke survivors attending rehabilitation in Nigeria. 2014 Jan 24. [Epub ahead of printhttps://doi.org/10.1177/2516608518775233
- Akinyemi RO, Sarfo FS, Akinyemi J, Singh A, Onoja Akpa M, Akpalu A, Owolabi L, Adeoye AM, Obiako R, Wahab K, Sanya E, Komolafe M, Ogbole G, Fawale M, Adebayo P, Osaigbovo G, Sunmonu T, Olowoyo P, Chukwuonye I, Obiabo Y, Adeniji O, Fakunle G, Melikam E, Saulson R, Yaria J, Uwanruochi K, Ibinaiye P, Amusa GA, Yahaya IS, Dambatta AH, Faniyan M, Olowoniyi P, Bock-Oruma A, Joseph OC, Oguntade A, Kolo P, Laryea R, Lakoh S, Uvere E, Farombi T, Akpalu J, Oyinloye O, Appiah L, Calys-Tagoe B, Shidali V, Tabari NA, Adebayo O, Efidi R, Adeleye O, Owusu D, Ogunjimi L, Aridegbe O, Imoh CL, Sanni T, Gebreziabher M, Hemant T, Arulogun O, Ogunniyi A, Jenkins C, Owolabi M, Ovbiagele B; SIREN Investigators. Knowledge, attitudes and practices of West Africans on genetic studies of stroke: Evidence from the SIREN Study. Int J Stroke. 2018 Jul 24:1747493018790059. doi: 10.1177/1747493018790059. [Epub ahead of print].
- Akinyemi RO, Salami A, Akinyemi J, Ojagbemi A, Olopade F, Coker M, Farombi T, Nweke M, Arulogun O, Jegede A, Owolabi M, Kalaria RN, Ogunniyi A. Brain banking in low and middle-income countries: Raison D'être for the Ibadan Brain Ageing,Dementia And Neurodegeneration (IBADAN) Brain Bank Project. Brain Res Bull. 2019 Feb; 145:136-141. doi: 10.1016/j.brainresbull.2018.08.014. Epub 2018 Aug 24. PMID: 30149197.
- Pandian JD, Gall SL, Kate MP, Silva GS, Akinyemi RO, Ovbiagele BI, Lavados PM, Gandhi DBC, Thrift AG. Prevention of stroke: a global perspective. Lancet. 2018 Oct 6;392(10154):1269-1278. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(18)31269-8. PMID: 30319114.
- Jenkins C, Ovbiagele B, Arulogun O, Singh A, Calys-Tagoe B, Akinyemi R, Mande A, Melikam ES, Akpalu A, Wahab K, Sarfo FS, Sanni T, Osaigbovo G, Tiwari HK, Obiako R, Shidali V, Ibinaiye P, Akpalu J, Ogbole G, Owolabi L, Uvere E, Taggae R, Adeoye AM, Gebregziabher M, Akintunde A, Adebayo O, Oguntade A, Bisi A, Ohagwu K, Laryea R, Olowoniyi P, Yahaya IS, Olowookere S, Adeyemi F, Komolafe M, Fawale MB, Sunmonu T, Onyeonoro U, Imoh LC, Oguike W, Olunuga T, Kolo P, Ogah OS, Efidi R, Chukwuonye I, Bock-Oruma A, Owusu D, Odo CJ, Faniyan M, Ohnifeman OA, Ajose O, Ogunjimi L, Johnson S, Ganiyu A, Olowoyo P, Fakunle AG, Tolulope A, Farombi T, Obiabo MO, Owolabi M. Knowledge, attitudes and practices related to stroke in Ghana and Nigeria: A SIREN call to action. PLoS One. 2018 Nov 16;13(11):e0206548. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0206548. PMID: 30444884; PMCID: PMC6239297.
- GBD 2016 Dementia Collaborators (Akinyemi RO et al). Global, regional, and national burden of Alzheimer's disease and other dementias, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. Lancet Neurol. 2019 Jan;18(1):88-106. doi: 10.1016/S1474-4422(18)30403-4. Epub 2018 Nov 26. PMID: 30497964; PMCID: PMC6291454.
- GBD 2016 Traumatic Brain Injury and Spinal Cord Injury Collaborators (Akinyemi RO et al). Global, regional, and national burden of traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. Lancet Neurol. 2019 Jan;18(1):56-87. doi: 10.1016/S1474-4422(18)30415-0. Epub 2018 Nov 26. PMID: 30497965; PMCID: PMC6291456.
- Owolabi MO, Akpa OM, Made F, Adebamowo SN, Ojo A, Adu D, Motala AA, Mayosi BM, Ovbiagele B, Adebamowo C, Tayo B, Rotimi C, Akinyemi R, Gebregziabher M, Sarfo F, Wahab KW, Parekh RS, Engel ME, Chisala C, Peprah E, Mensah G, Wiley K, Troyer J, Ramsay M; as members of the CVD Working Group of the H3Africa Consortium. Data Resource Profile: Cardiovascular H3Africa Innovation Resource (CHAIR). Int J Epidemiol. 2019 Apr 1;48(2):366-367g. doi: 10.1093/ije/dyy261. PMID: 30535409; PMCID: PMC6469307.
- GBD 2016 Lifetime Risk of Stroke Collaborators, Feigin VL, Nguyen G, Cercy K, Johnson CO, Alam T, Parmar PG, Abajobir AA, Abate KH, Abd-Allah F, Abejie AN, Abyu GY, Ademi Z, Agarwal G, Ahmed MB, Akinyemi RO, Al-Raddadi R, Aminde LN, Amlie-Lefond C, Ansari H, Asayesh H, Asgedom SW, Atey TM, Ayele HT, Banach M, Banerjee A, Barac A, Barker-Collo SL, Bärnighausen T, Barregard L, Basu S, Bedi N, Behzadifar M, Béjot Y, Bennett DA, Bensenor IM, Berhe DF, Boneya DJ, Brainin M, Campos-Nonato IR, Caso V, Castañeda-Orjuela CA, Rivas JC, Catalá-López F, Christensen H, Criqui MH, Damasceno A, Dandona L, Dandona R, Davletov K, de Courten B, deVeber G, Dokova K, Edessa D, Endres M, Faraon EJA, Farvid MS, Fischer F, Foreman K, Forouzanfar MH, Gall SL, Gebrehiwot TT, Geleijnse JM, Gillum RF, Giroud M, Goulart AC, Gupta R, Gupta R, Hachinski V, Hamadeh RR, Hankey GJ, Hareri HA, Havmoeller R, Hay SI, Hegazy MI, Hibstu DT, James SL, Jeemon P, John D, Jonas JB, Jóźwiak J, Kalani R, Kandel A, Kasaeian A, Kengne AP, Khader YS, Khan AR, Khang YH, Khubchandani J, Kim D, Kim YJ, Kivimaki M, Kokubo Y, Kolte D, Kopec JA, Kosen S, Kravchenko M, Krishnamurthi R, Kumar GA, Lafranconi A, Lavados PM, Legesse Y, Li Y, Liang X, Lo WD, Lorkowski S, Lotufo PA, Loy CT, Mackay MT, Abd El Razek HM, Mahdavi M, Majeed A, Malekzadeh R, Malta DC, Mamun AA, Mantovani LG, Martins SCO, Mate KK, Mazidi M, Mehata S, Meier T, Melaku YA, Mendoza W, Mensah GA, Meretoja A, Mezgebe HB, Miazgowski T, Miller TR, Ibrahim NM, Mohammed S, Mokdad AH, Moosazadeh M, Moran AE, Musa KI, Negoi RI, Nguyen M, Nguyen QL, Nguyen TH, Tran TT, Nguyen TT, Anggraini Ningrum DN, Norrving B, Noubiap JJ, O’Donnell MJ, Olagunju AT, Onuma OK, Owolabi MO, Parsaeian M, Patton GC, Piradov M, Pletcher MA, Pourmalek F, Prakash V, Qorbani M, Rahman M, Rahman MA, Rai RK, Ranta A, Rawaf D, Rawaf S, Renzaho AM, Robinson SR, Sahathevan R, Sahebkar A, Salomon JA, Santalucia P, Santos IS, Sartorius B, Schutte AE, Sepanlou SG, Shafieesabet A, Shaikh MA, Shamsizadeh M, Sheth KN, Sisay M, Shin MJ, Shiue I, Silva DAS, Sobngwi E, Soljak M, Sorensen RJD, Sposato LA, Stranges S, Suliankatchi RA, Tabarés-Seisdedos R, Tanne D, Nguyen CT, Thakur JS, Thrift AG, Tirschwell DL, Topor-Madry R, Tran BX, Nguyen LT, Truelsen T, Tsilimparis N, Tyrovolas S, Ukwaja KN, Uthman OA, Varakin Y, Vasankari T, Venketasubramanian N, Vlassov VV, Wang W, Werdecker A, Wolfe CDA, Xu G, Yano Y,Yonemoto N, Yu C, Zaidi Z, El Sayed Zaki M, Zhou M, Ziaeian B, Zipkin B, Vos T, Naghavi M, Murray CJL, Roth GA. Global, Regional, and Country-Specific Lifetime Risks of Stroke, 1990 and 2016. N Engl J Med. 2018 Dec 20;379(25):2429-2437. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1804492. PMID: 30575491; PMCID: PMC6247346.
- Akpalu A, Gebregziabher M, Ovbiagele B, Sarfo F, Iheonye H, Akinyemi R, Akpa O, Tiwari HK, Arnett D, Wahab K, Lackland D, Abiodun A, Ogbole G, Jenkins C, Arulogun O, Akpalu J, Obiako R, Olowoyo P, Fawale M, Komolafe M, Osaigbovo G, Obiabo Y, Chukwuonye I, Owolabi L, Adebayo P, Sunmonu T, Owolabi M. Differential Impact of Risk Factors on Stroke Occurrence Among Men Versus Women in West Africa. Stroke. 2019 Apr;50(4):820-827. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.118.022786. PMID: 30879432; PMCID: PMC6433514.
- GBD 2016 Neurology Collaborators (Akinyemi RO et al). Global, regional, and national burden of neurological disorders, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. Lancet Neurol. 2019 May;18(5):459-480. doi: 10.1016/S1474-4422(18)30499-X. Epub 2019 Mar 14. PMID: 30879893; PMCID: PMC6459001.
- Owolabi M, Sarfo FS, Akinyemi R, Gebreyohanns M, Ovbiagele B. The Sub- Saharan Africa Conference on Stroke (SSACS): An idea whose time has come. J Neurol Sci. 2019 May 15; 400:194-198. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2019.03.026. Epub 2019 Mar 29. PMID: 30991160.
- Akinyemi R, Ojagbemi A, Akinyemi J, Salami A, Olopade F, Farombi T, Nweke M, Uvere E, Aridegbe M, Balogun J, Ogbole G, Jegede A, Kalaria R, Ogunniyi A, Owolabi M, Arulogun O. Gender differential in inclination to donate brain for research among Nigerians: the IBADAN Brain Bank Project. Cell Tissue Bank. 2019 Jun;20(2):297-306. doi: 10.1007/s10561-019-09769-4. Epub 2019 Apr 26. PMID: 31028517; PMCID: PMC6556418.
- Adeoye AM, Ovbiagele B, Akinyemi JO, Ogah OS, Akinyemi R, Gebregziabher M, Wahab K, Fakunle AG, Akintunde A, Adebayo O, Aje A, Tiwari HK, Arnett D, Agyekum F, Appiah LT, Amusa G, Olunuga TO, Onoja A, Sarfo FS, Akpalu A, Jenkins C, Lackland D, Owolabi L, Komolafe M, Faniyan MM, Arulogun O, Obiako R, Owolabi M. Echocardiographic Abnormalities and Determinants of 1-Month Outcome of Stroke Among West Africans in the SIREN Study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2019 Jun
- 4;8(11): e010814. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.118.010814. Epub 2019 May 30. PMID: 31142178; PMCID: PMC6585359.
- Otubogun FM, Akinyemi RO, Ogunniyi AO. Tropical ataxic neuropathy: Findings of a neuroepidemiological survey of Odeda, southwest Nigeria. J Neurol Sci. 2019 Oct 15; 405:116434. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2019.116434. Epub 2019 Aug 27. PMID: 31520868.
- Akinyemi RO, Cadmus EO, Adeniji O, Ajayi S, Farombi T, Omobowale OC, Olowookere OO, Adebusoye LA, Alonge TO, Ogunniyi A. Blueprint for health security in Nigeria by 2050: Ageing and ageing - related diseases. Afi: J. Med. med. Sci. (2019) 48, Suppl. 165-173
- Wahab KW, Tiwari HK, Ovbiagele B, Sarfo F, Akinyemi R, Traylor M, Rotimi C, Markus HS, Owolabi M. Genetic risk of Spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage: Systematic review and future directions. J Neurol Sci. 2019 Dec 15; 407:116526. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2019.116526. Epub 2019 Oct 13. PMID: 31669726.
- Lo JW, Crawford JD, Desmond DW, Godefroy O, Jokinen H, Mahinrad S, Bae HJ, Lim JS, Köhler S, Douven E, Staals J, Chen C, Xu X, Chong EJ, Akinyemi RO, Kalaria RN, Ogunniyi A, Barbay M, Roussel M, Lee BC, Srikanth VK, Moran C, Kandiah N, Chander RJ, Sabayan B, Jukema JW, Melkas S, Erkinjuntti T, Brodaty H, Bordet R, Bombois S, Hénon H, Lipnicki DM, Kochan NA, Sachdev PS; Stroke and Cognition (STROKOG) Collaboration. Profile of and risk factors for poststroke cognitive impairment in diverse ethnoregional groups. Neurology. 2019 Dec 10;93(24):e2257-e2271. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000008612. Epub 2019 Nov 11. PMID: 31712368; PMCID: PMC6937495.
- Owolabi MO, Gebregziabher M, Akinyemi RO, Akinyemi JO, Akpa O, Olaniyan O, Salako BL, Arulogun O, Tagge R, Uvere E, Fakunle A, Ovbiagele B. Randomized Trial of an Intervention to Improve Blood Pressure Control in Stroke Survivors. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2019 Dec;12(12): e005904. doi: 10.1161/CIRCOUTCOMES.119.005904. Epub 2019 Dec 6. PMID: 31805787; PMCID: PMC7139215.
- Adebayo PB, Otubogun FM, Akinyemi RO. Menstrual-Related Headaches Among a Cohort of African Adolescent Girls. J Pain Res. 2020 Jan 16; 13:143-150. doi: 10.2147/JPR.S207620. PMID: 32021403; PMCID: PMC6970628.
- Akinyemi R, Sarfo F, Abd-Allah F, Ogun Y, Belo M, Francis P, Mateus MB, Bateman K, Naidoo P, Charway-Felli A, Akpalu A, Wahab K, Napon C, Arulogun O, Ebenezer AA, Ekeng G, Scola G, Hamzat K, Zimba S, Ossou-Nguiet PM, Ademokoya J, Adebayo P, Ayele BA, Vaz DC, Ogbole G, Barasukan P, Melifonwu R, Onwuekwe I, Belson S, Damasceno A, Okubadejo N, Njamnshi AK, Ogeng'o J, Walker RW, Diop AG, Ogunniyi A, Kalaria R, Sandercock P, Davis S, Brainin M, Ovbiagele B, Owolabi M. Conceptual framework for establishing the African Stroke Organization. Int J Stroke. 2020 eb 6:1747493019897871. doi: 10.1177/1747493019897871. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32026763.
- Sarfo FS, Ovbiagele B, Gebregziabher M, Akpa O, Akpalu A, Wahab K, Ogbole G, Akinyemi R, Obiako R, Komolafe M, Owolabi L, Lackland D, Arnett D, Tiwari H, Markus HS, Akinyemi J, Oguntade A, Fawale B, Adeoye A, Olugbo O, Ogunjimi L, Osaigbovo G, Jenkins C, Chukwuonye I, Ajose O, Oyinloye L, Mutiso F, Laryea R, Calys-Tagoe B, Salaam A, Amusa G, Olowookere S, Imoh C, Mande A, Arulogun O, Adekunle F, Appiah L, Balogun O, Singh A, Adeleye O, Ogah O, Makanjuola A, Owusu D, Kolo P, Adebayo O, Agunloye A, Shidali V, Faniyan M, Lakoh S, Diala S, Iheonye H, Efidi C, Sanya E, Sunmonu T, Akintunde A, Owolabi M; SIREN. Unraveling the risk factors for spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage among West Africans. Neurology. 2020 Mar 10;94(10):e998-e1012. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000009056. Epub 2020 Feb 19. PMID: 32075893.
- Sarfo FS, Akinyemi R, Howard G, Howard VJ, Wahab K, Cushman M, Levine DA, Ogunniyi A, Unverzagt F, Owolabi M, Ovbiagele B. Vascular-brain Injury Progression after Stroke (VIPS) study: concept for understanding racial and geographic determinants of cognitive decline after stroke. J Neurol Sci. 2020 Feb 19;412:116754. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2020.116754. Epub ahead of print. PMID:32120131.
- Akpa OM, Made F, Ojo A, Ovbiagele B, Adu D, Motala AA, Mayosi BM, Adebamowo SN, Engel ME, Tayo B, Rotimi C, Salako B, Akinyemi R, Gebregziabher M, Sarfo F, Wahab K, Agongo G, Alberts M, Ali SA, Asiki G, Boua RP, Gómez-Olivé FX, Mashinya F, Micklesfield L, Mohamed SF, Nonterah EA, Norris SA, Sorgho H, Tollman S, Parekh RS, Chishala C, Ekoru K, Waddy SP, Peprah E, Mensah GA, Wiley K, Troyer J, Ramsay M, Owolabi MO; as members of the CVD Working Group of the H3Africa Consortium. Regional Patterns and Association Between Obesity and Hypertension in Africa: Evidence From the H3Africa CHAIR Study. Hypertension. 2020 May;75(5):1167-1178. doi: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.119.14147. Epub 2020 Mar 16. PMID: 32172619.
- Li J, Ogbole G, Aribisala B, Affini M, Yaria J, Kehinde I, Rahman M, Adekunle F, Banjo R, Faniyan M, Akinyemi R, Ovbiagele B, Owolabi M, Sammet S. Association between white matter hyperintensities and stroke in a West African patient population: Evidence from the Stroke Investigative Research and Educational Network study. Neuroimage. 2020 Jul 15;215:116789. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2020.116789. Epub 2020 Apr 7. PMID: 32276063; PMCID: PMC7304372.
- Global Burden of Disease Health Financing Collaborator Network (including Akinyemi RO). Health sector spending and spending on HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria, and development assistance for health: progress towards Sustainable Development Goal 3. Lancet. 2020 Apr 23:S0140-6736(20)30608-5. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30608-5. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32334655; PMCID: PMC7180045.
- Eaton P, Lewis T, Kellett-Wright J, Flatt A, Urasa S, Howlett W, Dekker M, Kisoli A, Rogathe J, Thornton J, McCartney J, Yarwood V, Irwin C, Mukaetova- Ladinska EB, Akinyemi R, Gray WK, Walker RW, Dotchin CL, Makupa PC, Quaker AS, Paddick SM. Risk factors for symptomatic HIV-associated neurocognitive disorder in adults aged 50 and over attending a HIV clinic in Tanzania. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2020 Jun 4. doi: 10.1002/gps.5357. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32497330.
- Ojo OO, Abubakar SA, Iwuozo EU, Nwazor EO, Ekenze OS, Farombi TH, Akinyemi RO, Williams UE, Bello AH, Wahab KW, Iyagba AM, Arigbodi O, Erameh CO, Komolafe MA, Fawale MB, Onwuegbuzie GA, Obiabo YO, Taiwo FT, Agu CE, Ekeh BC, Osaigbovo GO, Achoru CO, Arabambi B, Adeniji O, Nwani PO, Nwosu CM, Ademiluyi BA, Oyakhire SI, Nyandaiti Y, Rabiu M, Chapp-Jumbo EN, Balarabe SA, Otubogun FM, Obehighe EE, Kehinde AJ, Ani-Osheku I, Imarhiagbe FA, Dike FO, Adebowale AA, Agabi OP, Akpekpe JE, Ali MW, Odeniyi OA, Odiase FE, Abiodun OV, Olowoyo P, Osemwegie N, Oshinaike OO, Owolabi LF, Zubair YA, Rizig M, Okubadejo NU. The Nigeria Parkinson Disease Registry: Process, Profile, and Prospects of a Collaborative Project. Mov Disord. 2020 Jun 19. doi: 10.1002/mds.28123. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32557840.
- Ding R, Hase Y, Ameen-Ali KE, Ndung'u M, Stevenson W, Barsby J, Gourlay R, Akinyemi T, Akinyemi R, Uemura MT, Polvikoski T, Mukaetova-Ladinska E, Ihara M, Kalaria RN. Loss of Capillary Pericytes and the Blood-Brain Barrier in White Matter in Post-Stroke and Vascular Dementias and Alzheimer's Disease. Brain Pathol. 2020 Jul 23. doi: 10.1111/bpa.12888. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32705757.
- Akinyemi RO et al. Unraveling the Ethical, Legal, and Social Implications of Neurobiobanking and Stroke Genomic Research in Africa: A Study Protocol of the African Neurobiobank for Precision Stroke Medicine ELSI Project. 2020 International Journal of Qualitative Methods Volume 19: 1–13
- Ojagbemi, A., Akinyemi, J., Owolabi, M., Akinyemi, R., Arulogun, O., Gebregziabher, M., Akpa, O., Olaniyan, O., Salako, B., Ovbiagele, B. (2020). Predictors and prognoses of new onset post-stroke anxiety at one year in black Africans. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases; Vol. 29.No.9:105082. doi: 10.1016/j. jstrokecerebrovasdis .2020. 105082. Epub 2020 Jul 3.(United States of America)
- Akinyemi, R.O., Akinyemi, J.O., Olorunsogbon, O.F., Uvere, E., Jegede, A.S., Arulogun, O.S. (2020). Gender and educational attainment influence willingness to donate organs among older Nigerians: a questionnaire survey. Pan African Medical Journal. Vol 36, No 288: 10.11604/pamj.2020.36.288.21125
- Otubogun, F.M., Akinyemi, R., Ogunniyi, S. (2020). Burden of adult neurological diseases in Odeda Area, Southwest Nigeria. BMJ Neurology Open ;2:e000062. doi:10.1136/ bmjno-2020-000062
- Gebreyohanns M, Akinyemi R, Owolabi MO, Sarfo FS, Tagge R, Ovbiagele B. African Stroke Organization Conference. J Neurol Sci. 2020 Aug 10;418:117089. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2020.117089. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32805439.
- GBD 2019 Universal Health Coverage Collaborators (including Akinyemi RO). Measuring universal health coverage based on an index of effective coverage of health services in 204 countries and territories, 1990-2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019. Lancet. 2020 Aug 27:S0140-6736(20)30750-9. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30750-9. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32861314.
- Kellett-Wright J, Flatt A, Eaton P, Urasa S, Howlett W, Dekker M, Kisoli A, Duijinmaijer A, Thornton J, McCartney J, Yarwood V, Irwin C, Mukaetova-Ladinska E, Akinyemi R, Lwezuala B, Gray WK, Walker RW, Dotchin CL, Makupa P, Paddick SM.Screening for HIV-Associated Neurocognitive Disorder (HAND) in Adults Aged 50 and Over Attending a Government HIV Clinic in Kilimanjaro, Tanzania. Comparison of the International HIV Dementia Scale (IHDS) and IDEA Six Item Dementia Screen. AIDS Behav. 2020 Sep 1. doi: 10.1007/s10461-020-02998-9. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32875460.
- Sarfo FS, Ovbiagele B, Matthew OA, Akpalu A, Wahab K, Obiako R, Owolabi L, Asowata O, Ogbole G, Komolafe M, Akinyemi R, Owolabi M; SIREN. Antecedent febrile illness and occurrence of stroke in West Africa: The SIREN study. J Neurol Sci. 2020 Sep 28;418:117158. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2020.117158. Epub aheadof print. PMID: 33002758.
- Ojagbemi A, Akinyemi J, Owolabi M, et al. Predictors and prognoses of new onset post-stroke anxiety at one year in black Africans. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2020;29(9):105082. doi:10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2020.105082
- Olowoyo P, Okekunle AP, Ojagbemi A, Akpa OM, Akinyemi R, Lackland D, Ovbiagele B, Owolabi M. Green leafy vegetable intakes are inversely related to the incidence of stroke. Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2020 Oct 23:zwaa040. doi: 10.1093/eurjpc/zwaa040. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33624025.
- Akpa OM, Okekunle AP, Ovbiagele B, Sarfo FS, Akinyemi RO, Akpalu A, Wahab KW, Komolafe M, Obiako R, Owolabi LF, Ogbole G, Fawale B, Fakunle A, Asaleye CM, Akisanya CO, Hamisu DA, Ogunjimi L, Adeoye A, Ogah O, Lackland D, Uvere EO, Faniyan MM, Asowata OJ, Adeleye O, Aridegbe M, Olunuga T, Yahaya IS, Olaleye A, Calys-Tagoe B, Owolabi MO; SIREN Study as part of the H3Africa Consortium. Factors associated with hypertension among stroke-free indigenous Africans: Findings from the SIREN study. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2021 Jan 23. doi: 10.1111/jch.14183. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33484599.
- Akinyemi RO, Brainin M. The African Stroke Organization - a new dawn for stroke in Africa. Nat Rev Neurol. 2021 Mar;17(3):127-128. doi: 10.1038/s41582-021-00456-1. PMID: 33452494.
- Ojagbemi A, Akinyemi J, Wahab K, Owolabi L, Arulogun O, Akpalu J, Akpalu A, Ogbole G, Akinsanya C, Wasiu A, Tito-Ilori M, Adekunle F, Lyrea R, Akpa O, Akinyemi R, Sarfo F, Owolabi M, Ovbiagele B. Pre-Stroke Depression in Ghana and Nigeria: Prevalence, Predictors and Association With Poststroke Depression. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2020 Oct 19:891988720968274. doi:
- 10.1177/0891988720968274. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33073691. 7: GBD 2019 Risk Factors Collaborators (including Akinyemi R). Global burden of 87 risk factors in 204 countries and territories, 1990-2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019. Lancet. 2020 Oct 17;396(10258):1223-1249. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30752-2. PMID: 33069327; PMCID: PMC7566194.
- GBD 2019 Diseases and Injuries Collaborators (including Akinyemi R). Global burden of 369 diseases and injuries in 204 countries and territories, 1990-2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019. Lancet. 2020 Oct 17;396(10258):1204-1222. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30925-9. Erratum in: Lancet. 2020 Nov 14;396(10262):1562. PMID: 33069326; PMCID: PMC7567026.
- Sarfo FS, Akinyemi J, Akaplu A, Wahab K, Yaria J, Adebayo O, Komolafe E, Obiako R, Owolabi L, Osaigbovo GO, Jenkins C, Mensah Y, Ogbole G, Calys-Tagoe B, Adebayo P, Appiah L, Singh A, Fakunle A, Uvere E, Hemant T, Balogun O, Adeleye O, Fawale I, Abdulwasiu A, Ogunjimi L, Akinola O, Arulogun O, Donna A, Ogah O, Akinyemi R, Ovbiagele B, Owolabi MO; SIREN. Frequency and factors associated with post-stroke seizures in a large multicenter study in West Africa. J Neurol Sci. 2021 Jun 9;427:117535. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2021.117535. Epub ahead of print.PMID: 34130063.
- Ojagbemi A, Okekunle AP, Olowoyoyo P, Akpa OM, Akinyemi R, Ovbiagele B, Owolabi M. Dietary intakes of green leafy vegetables and incidence of cardiovascular diseases. Cardiovasc J Afr. 2021 Jun 10;32:1-9. doi: 10.5830/CVJA-2021-017. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34128951.
- Local Burden of Disease HIV Collaborators (Akinyemi RO et al). Subnational mapping of HIV incidence and mortality among individuals aged 15-49 years in sub-Saharan Africa, 2000-18: a modelling study. Lancet HIV. 2021 Jun;8(6):e363-e375. doi: 10.1016/S2352-3018(21)00051-5. PMID: 34087097; PMCID: PMC8187986.
- Fasae KD, Abolaji AO, Faloye TR, Odunsi AY, Oyetayo BO, Enya JI, Rotimi JA, Akinyemi RO, Whitworth AJ, Aschner M. Metallobiology and therapeutic chelation of biometals (copper, zinc and iron) in Alzheimer's disease: Limitations, and current and future perspectives. J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2021 Sep;67:126779. doi: 10.1016/j.jtemb.2021.126779. Epub 2021 May 15. PMID: 34034029.
- Owolabi MO, Thrift AG, Martins S, Johnson W, Pandian J, Abd-Allah F, Varghese C, Mahal A, Yaria J, Phan HT, Roth G, Gall SL, Beare R, Phan TG, Mikulik R, Norrving B, Feigin VL; Stroke Experts Collaboration Group (Akinyemi RO et al). The state of stroke services across the globe: Report of World Stroke Organization-World Health Organization surveys. Int J Stroke. 2021 May 27:17474930211019568. doi: 10.1177/17474930211019568. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33988062.
- Cole JW, Adigun T, Akinyemi R, Akpa OM, Bell S, Chen B, Jimenez Conde J, Lazcano Dobao U, Fernandez I, Fornage M, Gallego-Fabrega C, Jern C, Krawczak M, Lindgren A, Markus HS, Melander O, Owolabi M, Schlicht K, Söderholm M, Srinivasasainagendra V, Soriano Tárraga C, Stenman M, Tiwari H, Corasaniti M, Fecteau N, Guizzardi B, Lopez H, Nguyen K, Gaynor B, O'Connor T, Stine OC, Kittner SJ, McArdle P, Mitchell BD, Xu H, Grond-Ginsbach C. The copy number variation and stroke (CaNVAS) risk and outcome study. PLoS One. 2021 Apr 19;16(4):e0248791. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0248791. PMID: 33872305; PMCID: PMC8055008.
- Ajayi SA, Adebusoye LA, Olowookere OO, Akinyemi RO, Afolayan KO, Akinyemi JO, Labaeka EO. Prevalence and Correlates of Frailty Syndrome among Older Adults Attending Chief Tony Anenih Geriatric Centre, University College Hospital, Ibadan. West Afr J Med. 2021 Mar 22;38(3):255-267. PMID: 33765747.
- Flatt A, Gentry T, Kellett-Wright J, Eaton P, Joseph M, Urasa S, Howlett W, Dekker M, Kisoli A, Rogathe J, Henderson L, Lewis T, Thornton J, McCartney J, Yarwood V, Irwin C, Mukaetova-Ladinska EB, Akinyemi R, Gray WK, Walker RW, Dotchin CL, Quaker AS, Makupa PC, Paddick SM. Prevalence and 1-year incidence of HIV-associated neurocognitive disorder (HAND) in adults aged ≥50 years attending standard HIV clinical care in Kilimanjaro, Tanzania. Int Psychogeriatr. 2021 Mar 24:1-12. doi: 10.1017/S1041610221000156. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33757616.
- GBD 2019 Risk Factors Collaborators(Akinyemi RO et al). Global burden of 87 risk factors in 204 countries and territories, 1990-2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019. Lancet. 2020 Oct 17;396(10258):1223-1249. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30752-2. PMID: 33069327; PMCID: PMC7566194.
- Technical reports and Monographs
Maëlenn Guerchet, Rosie Mayston, Peter Lloyd-Sherlock, Martin Prince, Isabella Aboderin, Rufus Akinyemi, Stella-Maria Paddick, Anders Wimo, Mary Amoakoh-Coleman, Richard Uwakwe, Peter Ezeah. Dementia in Sub-Saharan Africa: Challenges and Opportunities. (2017) Alzheimer Disease International.
Adeloye A, Akinyemi R (2011). Ijinle Eko Nipa Ise Opolo [Yoruba Translation of IBRO Booklet (Neuroscience: Science of the Brain)]
Phone: +234 803 3704 384
Facebook: Profile Link
LinkedIn: Profile Link
Twitter: Profile Link
Instagram: Profile Link
YouTube: Profile Link
Pinterest: Profile Link