On Wednesday, 24 February, 2021 at 10.00 a.m. at the A.O. K. Johnson Board Room, the College of Medicine, University of Ibadan (CoMUI) Committee on Internationalisation was inaugurated.
The Provost, Professor Olayinka O. Omigbodun, in her opening remarks observed that putting together a Committee on Internationalisation was a key aspect of the TOGETHER AGENDA of the current Administration. She disclosed that there were many Alumni who had indicated interest in being integral parts of the college as Adjunct or Associate Lecturers. Further in her speech, she highlighted the wish of some reputable Universities across the globe to engage in collaborations, short programmes/courses, shared memoranda of understanding (MOU) and sundry academic and professional activities with the College. These developments she noted necessitated the urgent need to set up the Internationalisation Committee in line with the focus of the TOGETHER AGENDA.
The Terms of Reference for the Committee are as follows:
- Bring together all the existing MOU’s in CoMUI and review for updates.
- Liaise with the Office of International Programmes in UI to establish fresh MOU’s for CoMUI.
- Put a monitoring system in place to ensure MOU’s with offshore institutions are implemented.
- Work towards a minimum of 5% international faculty in CoMUI to enrich what we are able to offer within.
- Work with the Alumni committee and Ibadan College of Medicine Alumni Association (ICOMAA) to reach out to alumni and bring them in as adjunct faculty.
- Work with departments and faculties to identify flagship programmes that would be attractive to international students and advertise them.
- Work to improve the online presence of CoMUI through her website and other social media to increase institutional visibility on the international scene.
- Seek for sponsors and scholarships to bring in international students to study at the CoMUI.
- Design practical or hands-on skills in multi-disciplinary degree programmes, so that many graduates from different academic backgrounds can access them.
- Ensure that international students have a safe and fulfilling time studying in CoMUI, so that they will recommend CoMUI to others.
- Draw up a four-year strategic plan for the internationalisation of CoMUI.
- Any other related task consistent with the tasks of the Committee
The Chair of the Working Committee, Dr. Adesola Olumide, thanked the Provost for the honour given to everyone selected to work on the Committee. She observed that the task before them though a huge responsibility was achievable by hard work.
The members of the Committee are:
Dr. Adesola O. Olumide (Institute of Child Health) - Chairman
Dr. Jokotade O. Adeleye (Dept. of Medicine) - Member
Dr. A.O. Abolaji (Dept. of Biochemistry) - Member
Dr. M.A. Salami (Dept. of Surgery) - Member
Dr. T.A. Lawal (Dept. of Surgery) - Member
Dr. O.O. Gbolahan (Dept. of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery - Member
Dr. Olufunmilayo OlaOlorun (Dept. of Community Medicine) - Member
Dr. Rita Tamambang (Centre for Child & Adolescent Mental Health) - Member
Mrs. Emotan Danladi (Admin. Officer (Provosts Office) - Secretary
The Committee will work with an Advisory Board Chaired by Professor O. Gureje of the Dept. of Psychiatry. Other members of the Advisory Board are Professor A. O. Omigbodun (Dept. of Obstetrics & Gynaecology), Professor A. Ogunniyi (Dept. of Medicine), Professor A.J. Ajuwon (Dept. of Health Promotion & Education), Professor Eme T. Owoaje (Dept. of Community Medicine), Professor Oyeronke A. Odunola (Dept. of Biochemistry) and Professor M.O. Owolabi (Dept. of Medicine).